A textbook for therapists in training had this lesson
You must demonstrate sincerity to your client and you must do so spontaneously. Here are phrases you can always use no matter what the client has shared:
- That must have been very difficult
- You seem to have a lot of deep feelings about that.
- That seems to bring up a lot of feelings for you
- I am listening
- Why do you think that troubles you?
- It sounds like you are in a lot of pain.
- Many people feel the same way.
- I can see why you feel that way
If you want to show spontaneous concern you must practice rote phrases. You know what is really ironic? I have heard these sentenced before and I have actually been consoled